Skip to main content

Interview with Jody Long

We are so excited to announce that Hochanda will be welcoming knitting expert Jody Long to the family! We thought we’d have a sit down and pick his brain before he launches his first shows on Hochanda on 9th April, enjoy!



How did you learn to knit & why?

When I was five years old I stayed over my grandmothers house on her farm time to time. In the evenings I remember this huge wicker basket came out with brightly coloured yarns and needles sticking out with half finished projects. It fascinated me with all the colours and projects she made, so, one day I said can you show me how to knit.



What was your first finished project?

Oh no, I remember it to this day. It was a very badly knitted picture sweater in pink and cream with two little rabbits on the front. It was a disaster as I never knew about tension and needle sizes. The cream was aran and the pink was chunky, so you can only image.

How did you start designing?

I started designing from the age of twelve, designing clothes for my sisters dolls. When I was fourteen I designed a teacher teddy with a little knitted book and mortarboard and sent it to a magazine to be turn’t down due to my age.


Who have you designed for?

I have designed for many magazines and yarn mills around the world, including celebrity clients, and a few designer labels like Gucci, Prada and Next.

When did you become an author?

I always wanted to write about knitting from an early age, so when I was approached by Dover Publications back in early 2015 I jumped at the chance. Since then I have written 3 books, Knitted Toys, Baby Knits and Cable Knits.


Why did you make your own yarn line?

I commissioned a yarn mill to spin my own yarn range in late 2015. I did this because there is nothing better than designing patterns using a yarn your passionate about. There has been several times I would design with magazines and they change the yarn and send you something that doesn't work or look as good. Having my own range I can push my designs to the limit.

What do you like knitting best?

This is a difficult question, because I love knitting everything from socks, hats, toys to garments. I guess I prefer to design and knit toys and baby garments.

What are you working on with HOCHANDA TV?

I’m so pleased to have the opportunity to work with HOCHANDA on a few projects. I have a couple of teddy kits and teddy clothing kits coming to the show along with a Nordic cushion and throw kit.

What are you looking forward to joining HOCHANDA TV?

I'm looking forward to sharing my wealth of knitting knowledge and tips with all of the viewers and get people knitting!

What would you say to help people start knitting?

Knitting is fun, relaxing and creative! Just remember if you have not knitted before, knitting is a stitch by stitch craft so therefore take it step by step and stitch by stitch. Once the basic cast on and off, Knit and Purl have been mastered your away to knitting just about anything you can imagine. 




Don’t forget to tune in on 9th April for Jody’s first shows! Watch Hochanda every day 24/7 for lots of fun and crafty demonstrations and inspiration! Watch Hochanda live online, Sky channel 663 or Freesat 817.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Glittery Star Using the Vivi Gade Paper Star Strips

We're thrilled to welcome Lotte  Littau, the co-founder and co-owner of Creativ Company to Hochanda this week. She's travelled all the way from Denmark to bring you incredible shows across three days, showcasing the Christmas paper range from Creativ Company. Lotte will be bringing you lots of demonstrations throughout her shows on how you can use all of these beautiful papers to create a Scandi Christmas this year. Here's just one of the projects Lotte will be showing this week...  Step 1. Half two 2.5cm wide paper star strips. Now only use three of the four paper star strips. Step 2. Double over each of the three paper star strips and cut all the ends at an angle. Put a star strip around another star strip and fold it tightly three times around this star strip. This is illustrated in the picture. Repeat this process with the other two star strips. Step 3. Assemble the three paper star strips over and under each other, forming three double le

Join us at the Stitching, Sewing & Hobbycrafts show!

Join us at this year's Stitching, Sewing & Hobbycrafts Show!  2nd - 5th November NEC Birmingham. You can grab the hottest ICHF Event tickets right here ! This year's Stitching, Sewing & Hobbycrafts show is going to be even bigger and better than ever, not only will you be able to explore the latest crafting supplies, exclusive product launches and expert demonstrations - a true crafters paradise; there is also free entry to Simply Christmas and Cake International! Taking place at the National Exhibition Centre (NEC) Birmingham from the 2nd - 5th November, discover a whole new world full of creative inspiration all under one roof - and this year there is no compromise! We will be broadcasting live for a full 4 hours a day joined by our very own presenter enthusiasts including Leonie Pujol, Yiannis Morgan, Hayley West, Dave Bradford and Matt MacNamara. Conducting live demonstrations, audience Q&A’s and photo signing opportunities, this is your opportuni

Card GIVEAWAY - One Day Special - Dies by Sue Wilson

The wonderful John Lockwood launches beautiful dies from Sue Wilson, as the One Day Special this evening.  I managed to grab John on his way in (he didn't even manage to get in the studio) and get one of his lovely cards as our give away.  It's extra special as it's got Johns signature on it :) If you would like to be in with a chance of winning this lovely card, then add your comment to this post. Tune in to Hochanda every day 24/7 for lots of fun and crafty demonstrations! Watch our programmes live >  Hochanda.com You can also tune into Hochanda on Freeview channel 39, Sky channel 663 or Freesat  817.