Skip to main content

Sizzix Flower Fascinator by Lore Green

Hi crafters. I don’t know about you but I love flowers and frankly, I am too scared to count how many flower dies and templates I have; yet somehow, I can always find a need for more.














I recently bought a new Sizzix flower die (pictured right) and as usual couldn’t wait to start playing with it.

After buying a new die, I usually cut everything out in scrap card and start playing with the pieces, moving them around to see how the die works and how many different ways I could adapt the shape for differing uses. 

I made up a flower out of card and loved it, so I wanted to see how it looked in fabric so I found some scraps of fabrics and started cutting. I put different types and thicknesses of fabric through my Sizzix Big Shot Plus as I wasn’t sure if thinner fabrics would hold up the flower form as well. I got quite carried away with the cutting and ended up with lots of petals, especially in the cottons as my Sizzix Big Shot Plus easily cuts six layers of cotton at once so you can get through many cuts at once. The way the Big Shot Plus cuts through so many materials with ease is why I love it so much.
 
I spent the evening making flowers with the fabric, experimenting with mixing colour tones and textures. I could’ve kept the flowers to use as embellishments on cards, home dĂ©cor or other fabric projects at a later date, but as I was playing the word ‘fascinator’ kept calling out at me.


The flower die consists of several parts that make up the flower and the die will need to be passed through at least three times in your chosen fabric so you’ll have enough parts to makeup the one in the picture. 


For speeds sake – I glued the parts of the flowers with fabric glue. I started by coiling the fringed strip round in quite a tight circle and glued it at the bottom to fix in shape. I then added the smaller of the petals to the coiled fringe strip gluing the bottom of the petals to the bottom of the coil, how many petals you add is completely up to you and different combinations of sizes and the number of petals in that size you use will give you plenty of variations and versatility. 

I have even coiled the small split circle to create a bud or different centre to the flower. When wrapping and layering the petals it can make them form more naturally if you offset the petal against the one beneath it. Also, like with many designs, odd numbers in petals and flowers can work well.

For the large flower in the fascinator – I used faux leather, linen, hessian type fabrics, and cream and white fabric left over from lining curtains, this is a good stash-buster project. I knew that I wanted to use some netting for the fascinator but you could use other embellishments such as ribbons, lace, diamante, pearls and feathers. I couldn’t resist adding a few feathers.


I made my flower quite large so I needed quite a few petals but the beauty of this die is that it will adapt to the size you need.  I enjoyed mixing in different cream and chocolate tones as well as mixing textures. When I finished layering up the flower I used a split circle cut shape to wrap around the bottom of the flower that forms a cone-like cup to beaten up the back of the flower. The flower die also cuts out a leaf shape that can be used as it is or be cut down into smaller, individual leaves to compliment your flower.

To make the netted backdrop to the flower I cut about half a metre long strip of netting about 20cm high, I used two of these strips. I folded the strip of netting down from 20cm to 10cm and then stitched across the width of the strip (the non-folded side) to gather. To create a more interesting and neater end to the netting I cut a curve down from the fold to the bottom, this can be done before or after you gather the netting. Repeat with the other strip and you should end up with two kidney shaped pieces.


I overlapped one piece of netting with the other so they fit nicely into a curve and form almost a circle of netting. I stitched the netting in place. I cut a small piece of felt into a circle that I could use as a base to stick the netting to. 



To glue the netting, leaves and flower in place and sticking the whole piece to the hair band I used a glue gun as its strong and ‘grabs’ fast. Depending on the embellishments and where you want to use them they can be added before or after the flower is fixed to the netting.

After adding leaves and feathers, I glued the completed piece on a hair band at an angle. The netting at the front can be turned down to create a veil or turned up away from the face.

 Here’s what I made with the ‘leftover’ flowers from my experiments.




I hope you can see why good flower dies never fail to fascinate. Happy crafting!

Lore x  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Glittery Star Using the Vivi Gade Paper Star Strips

We're thrilled to welcome Lotte  Littau, the co-founder and co-owner of Creativ Company to Hochanda this week. She's travelled all the way from Denmark to bring you incredible shows across three days, showcasing the Christmas paper range from Creativ Company. Lotte will be bringing you lots of demonstrations throughout her shows on how you can use all of these beautiful papers to create a Scandi Christmas this year. Here's just one of the projects Lotte will be showing this week...  Step 1. Half two 2.5cm wide paper star strips. Now only use three of the four paper star strips. Step 2. Double over each of the three paper star strips and cut all the ends at an angle. Put a star strip around another star strip and fold it tightly three times around this star strip. This is illustrated in the picture. Repeat this process with the other two star strips. Step 3. Assemble the three paper star strips over and under each other, forming three double le

Join us at the Stitching, Sewing & Hobbycrafts show!

Join us at this year's Stitching, Sewing & Hobbycrafts Show!  2nd - 5th November NEC Birmingham. You can grab the hottest ICHF Event tickets right here ! This year's Stitching, Sewing & Hobbycrafts show is going to be even bigger and better than ever, not only will you be able to explore the latest crafting supplies, exclusive product launches and expert demonstrations - a true crafters paradise; there is also free entry to Simply Christmas and Cake International! Taking place at the National Exhibition Centre (NEC) Birmingham from the 2nd - 5th November, discover a whole new world full of creative inspiration all under one roof - and this year there is no compromise! We will be broadcasting live for a full 4 hours a day joined by our very own presenter enthusiasts including Leonie Pujol, Yiannis Morgan, Hayley West, Dave Bradford and Matt MacNamara. Conducting live demonstrations, audience Q&A’s and photo signing opportunities, this is your opportuni

Card GIVEAWAY - One Day Special - Dies by Sue Wilson

The wonderful John Lockwood launches beautiful dies from Sue Wilson, as the One Day Special this evening.  I managed to grab John on his way in (he didn't even manage to get in the studio) and get one of his lovely cards as our give away.  It's extra special as it's got Johns signature on it :) If you would like to be in with a chance of winning this lovely card, then add your comment to this post. Tune in to Hochanda every day 24/7 for lots of fun and crafty demonstrations! Watch our programmes live >  Hochanda.com You can also tune into Hochanda on Freeview channel 39, Sky channel 663 or Freesat  817.